U-Haul has been a long-time leader in energy efficiency in the self-storage industry. U-Haul and WESCO Energy Solutions have shared a long-standing relationship resulting in improved safety and security, with reduced operating costs. Our ability to provide consistent solutions throughout North America, national rebate facilitation, full site surveys, and quick response in generating proposals have all been important elements of a successful working relationship.
When U-Haul asked us to help develop an exterior lighting program, they recommended first using a sample site to evaluate several exterior options side by side. Ultimately, U-Haul opted for increased safety, security, and energy efficiency, with an LED manufacturer offering a 10-year warranty and a robust product line to satisfy all of their needs.
The resulting series of upgrades has been an outstanding success. Says Jerret Fischer of U-Haul Corporate Sustainability, “The projects the team has completed for our company are saving us more than 8 Million kWh of energy annually.” The key components of the program’s success were:
- A dedicated WES National Project Manager to oversee logistics & weekly reporting
- The ability to customize lighting solutions to meet varying needs of individual locations
- National rebate prioritization & management
- National scope of work for facility standardization
- Full warranty facilitation
The project scope included upgrading U-Haul storage facilities with energy-efficient LEDs to improve onsite safety and reduce vandalism while providing maximum energy and rebate savings. Implement a program utilizing LED lighting technology for their exterior lighting applications. Utilize our rebate team to help prioritize target markets and rebate programs.
- Annual Savings: 8 Million kWh of electricity
- ROI: 34% and a payback period of less than 3 years